Some wider challenges to operating cargo bikes are listed below. Their solutions are a work in progress.
- Upgrading cycle infrastructure and facilities to accommodate cargo bikes such as wider cycle lanes and improved access to buildings and developments.
- Rider training is required.
- Making it easier for cargo bike deliveries in urban areas. For example, establishing more micro hubs that offer secure parking and charging for electric cargo bikes.
- Allocating more road space to cycleways for a more robust network with faster routes.
- Many people still don’t understand what a cargo bike is. If we have more cargo bikes our streets, there will be more awareness and acceptance of them as a practical way to move goods around. It will also be better for air quality and congestion in London and beyond.